We'll visit two locations in the City – the first stop is El Segundo Museum of Art (ESMoA) and then on to El Segundo Brewing to enjoy a pint, some bites, and fun giveaways from the City of El Segundo.
WHERE FIRST STOP:
El Segundo Museum of Art (ESMoA)
208 Main Street
El Segundo CA 90245
El Segundo Brewing
140 Main Street
El Segundo, CA90245
Fun fact: El Segundo is home to the Los Angeles Lakers, the L.A. Kings, the Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Air Force Base Space Systems Command, and soon the L.A. Chargers, making it the only city in America with headquarters and practice facilities of professional football, basketball, and hockey teams!
About your hosts:
🌇 The City of El Segundo is a thriving coastal community in southwestern Los Angeles County. The City’s vibrant economy includes leaders in aerospace and defense, bioscience, information technology, energy, real estate, and creative media and is home to unique dining, shopping, and hotel options. www.destinationelsegundo.com and www.elsegundo.org IG: visitelsegundo and @elsegundocity FB: cityofelsegundo
🎨 ESMoA is an art laboratory located in El Segundo, California and is run by artlab21 Foundation, a non-profit 501(c)(3). Founded in 2013, its mission is to spread the spark of creativity through the display and education of visual arts. ESMoA functions as a catalyst for creative thinking offering unique “Experiences.” The “Experiences”—a.k.a. exhibitions—present a variety of media, including sculpture, painting, works on paper, performances, and photography. ESMoA's activity is based on three fundamental pillars: experiences, arts education programs, and artist residencies. ESMoA provides an array of programs and events, including school programs, artist-led workshops, talks, and family days. www.esmoa.org IG: @esmoaorg FB: @esmoaorg Twitter: esmoaorg
🍺 El Segundo Brewing Company is a laid-back tap room in the heart of downtown El Segundo, providing the perfect spot to kick back with a cold brew. Patrons will find about 20 different beers on tap, with an ever-rotating line-up that includes local craft beers and unique flavors. Sip a pint at the bar, then fill up a growler with a favorite brew to take home. El Segundo Brewing Company beers can also be found around LA and the country! www.elsegundobrewing.com IG: @esbcbrews FB: @ElSegundoBrewingCo Twitter: @ESBCBrews
A few additional fun facts about El Segundo—
• El Segundo is the only South Bay city that does not have parking meters.
• El Segundo's stretch of Pacific Coast Highway used to be strawberry fields.
• More than half the satellites and vehicles in space were manufactured in El Segundo.
• El Segundo has been a preferred location for scores of major films, ranging from 1934's Cleopatra to I Spy and The Fast and Furious. In fact, El Segundo-headquartered EP Industries created the cars for The Fast and the Furious movie series. And in Star Wars, A New Hope the Death Star control room is the real control room at the Scattergood Generation Station, a natural gas-powered steam plant in El Segundo. As you might expect from a working power plant – and an Imperial battle station – it’s not open to the public.
• The nighttime population of El Segundo is approximately 17,000 with a daytime population soaring to almost 80,000 people.
• El Segundo is recognized as the “aerospace capital” of the world.
• There are more than 800 PhDs at the Aerospace Corporation located in El Segundo.
• GPS technology was invented in El Segundo.
• 2022 marked El Segundo’s 105th anniversary(1917-2022)
• El Segundo is home to the world's largest automobile maker – not Toyota, not General Motors – but Mattel. Mattel builds more “toy” cars than either automaker.
• The world’s first solar-powered automobile was invented in El Segundo by International Rectifier in 1958. The team converted a vintage 1912 Baker electric car to run on photovoltaic energy, using more than 10,000 individual solar cells mounted to the car’s rooftop.